Monday, October 29, 2012

On Persepolis, Catcher in the Rye & How "People are People", by Jameson Goetz



Marji, Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood.
Before I first picked up the book, I had definitely underestimated the potential value of reading Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood. The comic book, written by Marjane Satrapi, demonstrated the potential of comparative study. Political Science 299: Comparative Politics is designed as a method of studying the different governments, specifically each government's level of democratization. We may find ourselves struggling to understand the actions of leaders of foreign governments because we do not entirely understand the variety of factors, including those that deal with economics, religious motivations, and "strange" cultural practices that influence those decisions. Still, we can always find at least some level of mutual understanding with the experiences of other people. Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood successfully adds that human element to our course of study. 

Catholic Nun teaching her “properly dressed” students.

Marjane Satrapi utilizes pop culture references that almost anyone can find relatable. As an alumnus of Catholic Junior High and Catholic High School, I can relate to Marji's frustration with her school's strict dress code, as well as what she perceives as her school's attempts to indoctrinate its students. When I was 14 years old, I remember becoming frustrated with what my school was teaching its students. We all asked a lot of questions, but no one seemed to appreciate our inquisitive nature. When the woman chastises Marji in the street for dressing somewhat quirky, proudly displaying her Michael Jackson and Iron Maiden memorabilia, I definitely could relate to her frustration. How would I have made it through my pre-teen years if I had not been able to proudly display my loyalty to the Minnesota Vikings or my favorite band, Nirvana?  The angst we experience when growing up is obviously a universal phenomenon.
After reading Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood, I became somewhat angry, and I asked myself, "Why had I not read this sooner?" This comic book, although relevant for people of all ages, would have the greatest affect on readers the same age as Marji, the story's main character. Until I traveled to Guatemala, I don't believe I understood the true meaning of the phrase, "the universal human experience". I learned that people are people, and everyone, regardless of their background, tend to have similar desires, regrets, worries, etc.

Holden Caulfield, The Catcher in the Rye.

Although I do not want to discredit the power of traveling abroad and experiencing other cultures, I do not think that we have to wait for such opportunities to begin to understand the concept, "people are people". If I had read this book when I was 14, I believe the experience would have had a noticeable impact on my worldview. When I was in junior high, The Catcher in the Rye was not a part of our schools curriculum (I assume that the school believed that the book's content was unsuitable for a Catholic School). Still, I read the book independent of my English class at school. Reading The Catcher in the Rye was a powerful experience. Holden Caulfield, the book's main character, presented a character universally relatable for almost all teenagers; anybody who read Catcher in the Rye during their early teens understands. 
These books, The Catcher in the Rye and Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood provide an artistic experience that promotes empathy, an emotion that can have nothing but a positive effect on the world. I do not understand why these books, as well as other similar books, do not make up a larger part of middle school and secondary school curriculums. 

 Late Thursday afternoon, after losing a series of attempts to include Hispanic history in state social studies standards, State Board of Education member Mary Helen Berlanga gazed down at a new stack of amendments — stripping victories she thought she had gained at a meeting in January, including the inclusion of Hispanic heroes of the Alamo.” The Texas Tribune

No comments:

Post a Comment